Engage children in solving real-world problems with Skill Sharpeners: STEAM. STEAM is an approach to project-based learning that uses science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics to engage children in empathizing, thinking critically, collaborating, and coming up with solutions to solve real-world problems.
Skill Sharpeners: STEAM is where creativity meets academics. Each unit includes a fun hands-on STEAM project that encourages children to enjoy the journey of creating and sharing his or her solution to help create a better world.
Skill Sharpeners: STEAM activity books for grade 5 are organized around 9 real-world topics related to the environment, the Earth, people and cultures, and social and emotional learning. Topics include themes such as:
– Diversity STEAM task: Create a book about diverse people who inspire you.
– Shelter in Place STEAM task: Design and make a stay-at-home kit with original activities.
– Community Centers STEAM task: Create and give a presentation to persuade a town council that a community center is valuable.
– Tiny Houses STEAM task: Create a pamphlet to persuade people to buy a tiny house.
– Not Enough Classrooms STEAM task: Decorate a T-shirt for a fundraiser.
Each unit includes a grade-appropriate story or nonfiction reading article, a STEAM task to solve, and activities that provide an integrated approach to learning:
– Science: important concepts and vocabulary related to the units theme
– Technology: models about how technology is applied in the real world
– Engineering: examples of engineering solutions in the world
– Art: creative solutions through art projects
– Math: math operations to figure out solutions
Plus, each title includes a:
– Career spotlight that highlights specific careers related to the topic
– Supply list for each STEAM task
– Bonus STEAM puzzle
– Certificate of completion
– Answer key